Maranguka 8-18-Year-Olds Working Group
The purpose of the 8-18-Year-Olds Working Group is to improve the lives of Aboriginal Children and Young People aged 8-18 Years.
The focus of this Working Group is:
- Maranguka Youth Support model aiming to re-engage young people with education and build their capacity to lead successful lives using a ‘whatever it takes’ approach
- Maranguka will provide support to ensure services collaborate for better outcomes for children, young people and their families
- Acute Response and Return to Community – a strategy between Juvenile Justice, Police and Maranguka has been trialled. Under this strategy, an acute plan to stabilise the young person when returning from custody or care is developed and the young person is proactively engaged with wrap around supports. The schools, services at the Maranguka Daily Check-In and Maranguka Tactical Interagency are also notified and engaged. At the end of 2018 none of the three young people who were being supported had reoffended.
- Family Support- A wrap around support for the whole family was co-designed by the 8 – 18 year old Working Group and TACSI in 2017. The intent is to support the family to a place of empowerment and sustained change through a multi-agency approach and trust building. Picking Up the Pieces’ is the lead agency with the family referral service providing relevant referrals from the Maranguka Daily Check-ins.
- Our Place Program- is an alternative learning environment at Bourke High School for young people who have disengaged or are disengaging from school. It has four components: mastery, independence, generosity, and belonging. Approximately 10 young men participate.
- After Hours and School Holiday Support- For every school holiday there is a coordinated youth service response coordinated by Maranguka and involving daily activities, camps and a night patrol. Family Fun Days are a new initiative to bond families and the community, provide families with fun time together and increase engagement opportunities for services.
2020 Working Groups dates, times and locations:
Bourke High School Library
If you want to work towards making Bourke an even better place for Children and Young People, we would love for you to attend Maranguka Working Groups. Dates and times are provided above, all community members are welcome to attend. For more information come into the Maranguka office or contact 02 5834 7900.